Hello and a warm welcome to you! Thank you for visiting my blog where I love to share a little of my life and my passion for textiles, I hope you will enjoy what you see and read here...do also visit me on Facebook and say hello...or check out my workshops and come and get creative...

Tuesday, 26 July 2016

rust and felt...and synchronicity

a summery day just a few weeks ago and I am heading down to Florence Mine Arts Centre near Egremont on the northwest coast of Cumbria...an exhibition tempts me, lures me...I enjoy the freedom of driving down, picnic by the roadside and views both inland to the mountains and out to sea...


 I love the close juxtaposition of land and sea...

 
and there's always a little rust if you just look for it...even if it's barbed wire there's a sort of beauty...


after my lunch I head to the mine for my fill of textile heaven,  only to be told the exhibition had finished early due to unforseen circumstances...

nothing lost I chat to the stewards and have a wonderful conversation about art, knitting, felting, textiles and all manner of interesting things...and lo and behold I realise I am talking to Angela Strange, Feltmaker...and we connect artist to artist and she invites me to take part in a forthcoming exhibition next year....how does is get any better than that! Out of a potential disappointment the situation bring me a creative opportunity...

it's always good to talk with fellow artists and makers as I learn so much and we can exchange ideas and thoughts on what it's like to be a creative soul making a way through the world...and this was a conversation with bells on!


and I got to see the new and inspiring garden of peace the side of the building, full of flowers and willow work (mm of course Mr Phil Bradley Basket Maker has been here!)


and Florence Mine itself, an ex iron ore mine, is just pure rust heaven...




and what about the felt...well it turns out Angela and Jenni Payne, both artists based at the centre, have their own exhibition in Whitehaven at The Beacon in Whitehaven...so I plan another trip out! Jenni is also involved in Florence Paintmakers, who use the iron ore and other pigments to create beautiful handmade paints:

Therefore part 2 is all about felt...and the sheep that provide the wool...Jenni creates delightful drawings using the pigments to capture the quiet beauty and dignity of the local sheep...


 natural fleeces...

and Angela's feltwork is full of harmonious colours and textures...








so abundance, inspiration and enrichment all round, and some opportunities and synchronicities...I love it!

have a creative week...


Emmaxx












No comments:

Post a Comment