Hello and a warm welcome to you! Thank you for visiting my blog where I love to share a little of my life and my passion for textiles, I hope you will enjoy what you see and read here...do also visit me on Facebook and say hello...or check out my workshops and come and get creative...

Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Making Christmas Easy...

is our Annual C-art Group 'Do'...we call ourselves Take Six which covers all eventualities, comings and goings...and it is such a wonderful Christmassey arty thing to do...

this was last year...




we all support each other by combining our energy and work and we have fun, and people seem to love it as they come back year on year. our work is based in tradition but with a modern twist...

This year we decided to do some simple refreshments in aid of a local charity and give a portion of our proceeds as well, which feels like we are giving something back. West Cumbria Carers supports local carers, old and young, which seems like an ideal choice at this time of year especially...



So once more my studio has been ransacked, boxes packed and I've travelled about a mile to my friend Phil's workshop...basket maker and all round woodaholic (wood is to Phil what textiles and stitch are to me!)...



my studio now looks like this...



and this is what was waiting to be viewed on Saturday and Sunday  ...a warming fruity spicy drink mulling on the woodburning stove...step inside, step back in time to when Christmas was about yule logs and holly and keeping warm...and some old fashioned magic!






Nikki is a new talent who designs and makes traditionally leaded and painted stained glass windows, but also creates stunning fused glass pieces that have a tactile quality to them...



Jonathan Leech is also new to the group and was our guest artist...brought these beautiful wood turned pieces, irresistble to being touched...his website is here if you would like to see more or order work from him...
 


Sarah is a textile artist... a girl after my own heart...and it is interesting that although we both studied at Workington and Carlisle, following each other around, our work is socompletely different...Sarah works with new and recycled fabrics, using a combination of applique and free-machine embroidery to create contemporary textile pieces in decorative and functional forms. Her work takes inspiration from the shapes, textures and colours around her especially her garden...you can see more on her website here








and of course Phil's beautiful baskets are everywhere (I have loads of them at home!) and he works in wood too, making one off stools, little tables, and lovely tactile spoons and spatulas...





and then Steph...print maker and potter, her work always just hits the spot...she prints mainly using the technique of collagraph, creating landscapes and images full of texture and line and feeling, and creates interesting, moving or just plain desirable quirky one off 'pots'...if you'd like to know more see her website here





I love these two birds,side by side...in wood by Phil, ceramic by Steph...











Take five artists and add one...sorry Jonathan you can be in the photo next year!
 

and the main challenge of doing this lovely event...

trying not to buy everything from everyone before the sale even starts! So much temptation, and yes, I succumbed in the name of buying presents...but some are just gifts for me, to treasure, made by my talented friends!

must go, someone special has a birthday today and there's some house loving to be done before the tea party...

now where did that hoover get put in September after I cleaned up for C-art??

have a great week...


Emma xx

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful blog I have just discovered you. People in the UK are so lucky to have talented people such as you.

    ReplyDelete