Hello and a warm welcome to you! Thank you for visiting my blog where I love to share a little of my life and my passion for textiles, I hope you will enjoy what you see and read here...do also visit me on Facebook and say hello...or check out my workshops and come and get creative...

Sunday, 28 September 2014

Cumbria has turned yellow...

as the C-art Open Studios banner and bunting flutter in the breeze...and we are now on the last day...

and I feel to feel elated, relieved and saddened all at the same time... I live in a strangely surreal world for 3 weeks or so, with nothing but C-art is on my mind. We  are only open for 3 days each weekend Steph and I sit in together in the studio and she does some print making and I sew or...sometimes we just sit out in the sun! 

After talking all day to lots of people Steph and I can hardly string a coherent sentence together...luckily at weekends we have the back up team of my husband and daughter to make lunch and count up the money!


My work has been praised and purchased and we have exchanged creative stories with a miriad of people, it just been one long joyful party, especially as the weather has been glorious too.

I got a bit carried away at the last minute and created a C-art dress from torn up advertising cards...


 
I felt the stitching was all the journeys that will be taken and they are the lines which which join up all the artists and all the visitors and lines of the landscape too...I was pleased and exitied by how it turned out...and proud of it in Number Fifteen Gallery with some lovely C-artists work (thanks Kay!)
 

I have also this year managed to get out and about to see other people in their studios, but there are so many to choose from, it is like a banquet of delicious food...art, artists, beautiful countryside, opportunities to eat lunch out...here at my favourite place Little Salkeld Mill...


some snapshots of some of the work I loved...so much more out there tho! Mayflies by Katarina Prior, and books by Elizabeth Shorrocks,Joan Prickett's paintings, photographs and woven hangings and felt by Michael and Mirja Dawson, rusty work and art using handmade pigments at Florence Mine... lots of wonderful textures and colours to inspire...





and then back in our studio it has been a hooley of people talking and sharing...and Steph had the genius idea of doing a 'Print of the Day' where marks are made by lots of people and and the print becomes what they all make it! Random and beautiful, and inspiring...




even Basil the cat wanted a turn! or maybe just a go on the swivel chair...
 

and despite being in a wee corner with my embellisher and sewing machine on one table I have managed to do a little creative work alongside demonstrating techniques to those interested...so lovely to share!



and soon it will be back to a quiet normality and I wonder where to take up the threads again, a cup of tea and a sit will allow me time to get back in my making zone..


but first, one last glorious day of C-art Open Studios 2014...see you on the other side!

Have a fabulous Sunday!




Emma xx

1 comment:

  1. Wow, look at you having an open studio. I wish! But I have 42 steps up to the house, so totally out of the question insurance wise. I am having an exhibition early next year somewhere more suitable. Perhaps I should make it more like an open studio for the weekend? Any way congrats to you.

    ReplyDelete