Hello and a warm welcome to you! Thank you for visiting my blog where I love to share a little of my life and my passion for textiles, I hope you will enjoy what you see and read here...do also visit me on Facebook and say hello...or check out my workshops and come and get creative...

Saturday, 12 April 2014

Green Doors Art Trail...

a gentle rainy day as I head off to the south of the Lake District with windscreen wipers swishing away the persistent raindrops, the morning is misty and soft and ahead of me is an enticing day with a rich variety of art and artists to visit... I am aiming for the middle of nowhere and will see where I end up! How far can I go? Driving down narrow lanes with fells and trees and hedgerows and sheep and little traffic, and only one job for the day, to drive and view art...bliss!

The Green Doors Artists  are a self-managed, not-for-profit artists’ co-operative, committed to bringing artists together and making contemporary art accessible to local residents and visitors to the area, and this is their annual (ninth) open studios trail...and here is a little of what I saw...

I dropped daughter mine off in Keswick for day 2 of an athletics training weekend...bless them all in the rain!







after getting throughly lost in the winding lanes and trusting I was going the right way...I arrived at the most beautiful house and garden snuggling into the landscape, and a warm welcome from Angie Flynn, Tina Balmer and Sally Bamber and Janet Benefield (wife of artist Chris Benefield who sadly was ill upstairs in bed!) it was his designed house! Soup steamed on the Aga of the open plan kitchen and living room and there were CAKES!(sorry no photos, I got braver as the day progressed! I think I was just so stunned I'd managed to find them!)

I love all their work...



then after some soup and a rest I headed to my furthest point south, beyond even the place where dragons live... Cark in Cartmel to Elizabeth and Keith Shorrocks' studio...perched high up with a wonderful view



to see Elizabeth, Annwyn Dean and Joan Newell do exiting things with paper and stitch as Page, Paper, Stitch






 
and in the garage Keith turns wood into beautiful furntiture...


north again to visit Jan Huntley Peace and friends near Milnthorpe, sadly Jan was also ill, but there was a warm welcome and lovely things to view






a short distance to Arnside, and childhood haunts as we had 3 Great Aunts who all lived hereabouts and when we stayed in Granny's caravan we were spoilt with wonderful teas and 10 shilling notes for spending (rich!). Here's Angie Mitchell's studio where she makes prints which I love...






and a nostalgic signpost...


on then to Natland a place I have passed by many times but never visited...with such a great name! Here I visited Mary Taylor who creates exquisite landscapes in fabric and stitch and glass maker Lisa Harrison creating light and colour in fused glass.


and then the journey home...to my own fells and trees and family, weary but so happy! My head is full of wonderful creativity and the joy of talking to other artists and sharing our mutual love for what we do.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful day, such talent and inspiration.
    S xx

    Ps I used to live in Natland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds & looks like a great day out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry if I've got the wrong person - can you tell me if you were previously known as Emma Leach? Trying to get hold of an old friend who produced embroidered artwork but lost track of her. Was based in Winchester Hampshire.

    ReplyDelete