Hello and a warm welcome to you! Thank you for visiting my blog where I love to share a little of my life and my passion for textiles, I hope you will enjoy what you see and read here...do also visit me on Facebook and say hello...or check out my workshops and come and get creative...

Tuesday, 14 January 2014

the new order...

hooray for google, photo upload mended and so easy again so here's the missing picture from my last blog...this simple word for the year is already paying dividends...

I have felt the urge as I have not for a long time, to clear and tidy and sort our house once more, to make it a pleasant home for us all to enjoy, to repair and repaint and revamp a little here and there, to re-evaluate all that we have and and allow myself the time to do some homemaking...

last year I was very focussed on my new enterprise as an artist and this year I want to create a balance so that in each moment I am at peace and not stressed. My aims for the the year are to simplify and do less, so that rather than doing too much in a flurry of speed and stress and thinking 'I'll sort that out tomorrow'...instead I will have a more orderly and pleasant base from which to go out into the world with my artwork

It is helpful to write this down here as the process of putting thoughts into black and white words helps me clear my head and to focus...and I will see where I get to as the weeks progress. It is easy at the moment as the house is quiet in the week and I am not yet back to full-on making or doing workshops...

so the achievement of the week is painting the inside of a cupboard so I can enjoy arranging my happy collection of magazines...


I've also been painting my grandmother's old dressing table,which my Mum used to sew on, a sad old piece with outworn varnish...and somehow it's ended up grey which is perhaps a good choice as it's a calm colour for the place I am going to keep my business paperwork...in order!

It's funny how even this has become an opportunity for something arty as I rather liked photographing the paintbrush!




and the colours link rather nicely with the artwork I did get done in the Christmas holiday...I seem to be in a grey and brown phase, choosing lacey fabrics and wool and yarn which I needled felted and stitched into...trees have been in my mind with their beautiful textural bark, and as with a lot of my work it is a feeling rather than an absolute which comes out...


 


how I love my embellisher which needlefelts or dry felts with 12 needles, allowing me to layer and mix and mingle fabrics, creating quite a stiff fabric, especially when it is then stitched into using simple embroidery
 




  
When it gets to this stage I get exited as now I can start to create the shaping, which means it is almost finished...but as I discovered with this piece sometimes it involves much fiddling and swearing and tricksy handwork...



I am enjoying trying our more 3D pieces, vessels of unknown purpose I would call them...and then brooches and I made a wristlet too, just love the textures




sunny day today so think I may get outdoors a bit and get some Vit D, after all the rainy grey days sunshine is even more welcome! Have a bright and sunny week...

Emmaxx

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of slowing down and creating more balance. I have had the urge to sort and freshen my home but due to my poor health this had been a challenge. But I have been slow and steady and with help from family many of my ideas are slowly taking shape.
    Your photography and textile pieces are all beautiful you are very talented. Good look with your renovations.
    I would love to come to one of your workshops but not sure I have the stamina at the moment as it would be a long journey and I wouldn't be able to transport my sewing machine - maybe another year.
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete